Re: Things & Stuff

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Things & Stuff
From: Steven.D.Ligett@Dartmouth.EDU (Steven D. Ligett)
Date: 28 Jun 93 10:17:44 EDT
--- af4@ukc.ac.uk wrote:
There has been lots of noise about 34010 versus dumb frame buffers. Whilst
I'm in favour of the 34010 solution, I though I'd mention the 34076 Video
Systems Controller. The 34076 generates all the control and timing signals
for a raster scan video system, you just add a blob of VRAM, and a DAC (Inmos
make some nice ones, BTW), and Bob's yer aunty - instant dumb frame buffer.
--- end of quoted material ---
Yes, perhaps my post didn't get out.  The design I've been working on would
use the 34076, and the NSC LM1882 to generate the syncs.  The 34076 HAS the
DACs on it -- It's a RAMDAC.  It doesn't generate the Vsync, Hsync, nor the
blanking.  The 1882 does that.

Bag the 34010 -- put another 3041 on the board if you want smarts to drive
the graphics.  All your software tools for the 3081 work just as well for its
little brother.