Re: Proposed to comp.arch

To: wolff@dutecai.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Subject: Re: Proposed to comp.arch
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 09:54:27 -0500 (EDT)

> The pipeline in software (mul a,b,c -> result from two multiplies back in
> c) is an '860 "feature".
Ahh I guess I got confused...

> The '960 is inattractive for a Unix implementation. In that you are right.

Well thats definitely the target, I change the wording thanks.

> The different versions of the '960 have either a MMU, FP or a Super Scalar
> version. No two of these go together (I think... I use the Super Scalar
> version: the I960 CA). For Unix you need all three. (The military
> is able to get two of them.....)

I'd guess FP and Superscaler.  No need for MMU.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu