Things & Stuff

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Things & Stuff
From: af4@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 13:56:19 +0100
There has been lots of noise about 34010 versus dumb frame buffers. Whilst I'm
in favour of the 34010 solution, I though I'd mention the 34076 Video Systems
Controller. The 34076 generates all the control and timing signals for a
raster scan video system, you just add a blob of VRAM, and a DAC (Inmos make
some nice ones, BTW), and Bob's yer aunty - instant dumb frame buffer.

While I'm at it, don't go leaving the parallel printer port off of the
motherboard. The cost of the necessary TTL octal latch is peanuts, so please
do your penny pinching elsewhere!