Re: Proposed to comp.arch

To: wolff@dutecai.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Subject: Re: Proposed to comp.arch
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 08:56:14 -0500 (EDT)

> Your post to Comp.arch mentioned the I960 as "hard to program".
> This is not true. The 960 has a clean architecture, and has a GCC
> port.
>
>                               Roger.

Hmmm I heard several things that make it unattractive for programming
in unix.  (which I kinda believe because nobody uses it for unix).

Does it do context switching well?  I have heard things like mult a,b,c
Multiplies a*b and puts the answer from 3 multiplies ago in c.

It's supposed to be very fast (at least in fp) but very hard to
extract that performance.  Any info would be appreciated.

There's an i860 port for gcc also.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu