Proposed to comp.arch

To: riscy@pyramid.com (Mips 3000)
Subject: Proposed to comp.arch
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 06:28:32 -0500 (EDT)
I was thinking of posting this with 2 goals: Explore any other options for
cpu, and get more people interested in design, and purchase of the board.
Subject: Best cpu under $300

I'm looking for the best cpu to put in a motherboard to be designed for a
small quantity production run (say between 25-100) to run a free unix port.

Mandatory considerations:
   Maximum to memory cpu speed 40 Mhz (for ease of design)
   Must run gcc (for easy of porting a free unix).
   Around $300 or less in quantity of 25-100  (going for a < $700 motherboard)

How do I define best?
        Maximizing speed (specint, specfp)
        minimizing cost/complexity of the implementation.
        Cleaness of design/architecture.
        Ease of programming.

Optional floating point would be great for those who can't afford it.

So this probably rules out any Mips 4000, Alpha, Pentium chips on cost alone.

I've heard that the i860 and i960 are tough to program, and I don't like the
design of the 486.

Post or email.
Optionally:

If you interested in the design of the motherboard send a subscribe to
riscy-request@pyramid.com

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu