Re: Introducing Atheros AR231x/AR531x WiSoC support

To: John Crispin <john@phrozen.org>
Subject: Re: Introducing Atheros AR231x/AR531x WiSoC support
From: Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov.s.a@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:51:56 +0400
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type; bh=ubVQjTL+lNY+Q8t9TKWHcImH9L5cZMhZh4cDj/MPxZ4=; b=eJyEpL+nCN6Udi+KOGxFxley4CFPzydqbax0vK6vwj7i+saI7ridjcyBViLv86PCqk j4Zzh+j7oxxWAG0tbvVHkomBR7JfHcGyX6uO4qeA+OGa0QwxW7HT+KOebm1WTsk6/lsE uMsjLKUrrcyMShYMlzmzPqGRYziqaVpaWAIdade0Emle/BzuGTQOug9APrj3D8Q1zCiK U+ukvq08+yHkhol0kNvXqNfliok+Rtkw+VLm720h1fByWTMAGVC6mwR0a0ULCT4yFZIL 1EfonTYSL5rAXACC0b4i2tLM7rQcr9b/dNzrOeQ6f+6cxrdnKq8h3sXgG3XjxtK4GySh rmkA==
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi John,

> On 18/06/2014 13:46, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I plan to send several patches for upstream merging, that
>> introduce support for Atheros AR231x/AR531x WiSoCs. This code
>> developed and extensively tested in OpenWRT project. And I need
>> some help.
>>
>> I need to know what is the preferred way to split code on to
>> separate patches suitable for review and merging? Some kind of
>> howto or article would be great. Could you recomend something?
>> Should I send a series as RFC first?
>>

> Hi Sergey,
>
> is the code already in a cleaned up state ? are you just missing the
> bit where you split it up into patches or is there still dev work that
> needs to be done beyond the actual submission process ?

The code is complete and practically stable (no serious changes during
a year). Few days ago I had cleaned all errors and almost all warnings
generated by checkpatch.pl, using a script from 3.10 kernel. I need
some time to clean up flash initialization (remove some odd code), but
this is simple task. So yes, the code itself is almost ready for
submission, but I would like to send it in such manner, in which
review would be as easy as possible.

> is your code already available somewhere or do you plan to pusht he
> owrt support upstream as is ?
I does not do any forks, all changes were made as patches that were
accepted to owrt. Then I plan to rebase the code on to linux-mips.git
and send upstream.

--
BR,
Sergey