Re: Patch for the "ug" bug

To: Jean-Yves Avenard <>
Subject: Re: Patch for the "ug" bug
From: Hauke Mehrtens <>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:37:07 +0100
On 01/07/2014 10:25 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 7 January 2014 20:52, Hauke Mehrtens <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this is a little late but I haven't seen this earlier. I just tried your
>> script and had no problems on my Asus RT-N66U running OpenWrt with
>> kernel 3.10.24. This problem was either cause by some other non upstream
>> Broadcom modification or was already fixed in mainline kernel.
> As you wrote, you're a little late.... about 18 months late...
> The issue was in the mips memory management in 2.6.x kernel....
> FWIW; all tomato and dd-wrt firmware include this fix.
> Now the question is more about weither the fix is in your kernel or not...
tomato and dd-wrt are using kernel 2.6.23 is that correct? This kernel
is from October 2007 and EOL some years now, more than 18 months.

I do not think this patch went in as it is still in state new in
patchwork and pretty ugly:

I just found this by looking at some older patches in state new in
patchwork and just had this device on my desk.

This patch is not in OpenWrt and I am not aware of any similar patch
being in OpenWrt and not in the mainline kernel, so I stay with my
assumption that this problem was caused by some Broadcom modification
not in upstream kernel or it was fixed in the last 5 years by someone
else in a different way in the mainline kernel.