Re: R2300 (not the hay baler)

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: R2300 (not the hay baler)
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:32:04 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Paul Burton <>, "" <>
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  Also I'm not sure what the core file format is for the FP context, it may
> > be worth double-checking too.
> Is there some test suite for that kind of stuff?

 GDB has some core file support coverage; I'm not sure if it's meticulous
enough to catch such issues though, and also if it checks OS-produced
cores or ones made with its own `generate-core-file' (aka `gcore') command
only.  Besides if ptrace(2) and the core dumper are consistent with each
other, then chances are that any bugs there cancel each other too.

> >  Please feel free to poke me directly if you have any further issues about
> > MIPS I ISA compatibility.
> Makes me wonder if there's a MIPS emulator that emulates a MIPS I system
> faithfully.

 The Algorithmics FPU emulator (the original version shipped with their
SDE kit, not the kernel version we got contributed) could have been
strapped for true MIPS I support I believe.  Also GNU sim might be able to
emulate a whole MIPS I CPU, although I haven't checked.  Other than that I
haven't seen any (QEMU does not).