Re: [ADMIN] Mailing list archives

To: Aaro Koskinen <>
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:55:54 +0200
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:27:28PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:05:48PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > The raw mailing list archives, that is the original mbox data of the
> > mailing list have been lost.  I've restored some from ancient backups
> > and pieces others together from other copies of list email.  However
> > this is a tedious process and I'd highly appreciately if anybody
> > should have copies of these mbox files.
> >

> [...]
> >

> At least these three were in The Wayback Machine
> ( Probably the rest as well... has a tendency to be fairly unreliable and when I tried just
before my actual posting also appeared not to have crawled the mbox files
of the past two years.

Another issue was that downloads of some of the mbox files that it appeared
to have, stall at some point.

Then's search engine.  Suffice to say the relation between
what it finds and what actually has available appears to be
weak.  That is some files are archived but won't get found by a search
or get found by a search but are actually downloadable.

I ended up piecing archives together from various other sources.  Fortunately
Ecartis inserts an X-archive-position: header into postings which was very
helpful to ensure I found all postings.

Writing this reply I just tried again and it seems seems to have
crawled on the 14th or 15th of April (so it claims) but it
took a while until the result actually came online - and they include many
of the previously missing files.

However the search engine still is rubbish and many of the URLs such as
ives/mbox/linux-mips/2013-02 are returning "403 Forbidden".

I'm afraid to say if archiving at is what is meant to prevent
an internet digital dark age then this age is as black like a blind man's
night in a coal mine ...