[RFC 0/3] Removal of GENERIC_GPIO from architecture code

To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: [RFC 0/3] Removal of GENERIC_GPIO from architecture code
From: Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 22:42:00 +0900
Cc: uclinux-dist-devel@blackfin.uclinux.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, gnurou@gmail.com, Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@nvidia.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:x-mailer; bh=54H6Am+RUf74NywWVsoPfBli5gVeG1FwgHG4+o237XI=; b=NGBpTswLeyyIuFL7S2FhSRfJc00/K0o6Uk4dMB/eplRKtEsX9miCrAoQylhZEsGsK5 SGjEYopZ5dOzCvDfmyfPKARVtY7C26+gOdx8l/ISoVGx48mss4fZC/ApH5o5PYPn9dvl 1oNX1HBKlSIT2M+A0IGoHaU7tBToZ+jNKEactJcCgZpEl33yfDq9NcT2b1YJun539xtT 34VS5PcAQs8ICnbBlqTxxQSjlZce1e5nWX168ixh0O9grz03M6Tn3DMjCzbArweI4ldV 1tfFm1i4RGGL+wB1WK7hHeIx9ZC2Xj+80BdTrLBcZXLv0Vxer9RQg+2i5mQoA/lWcD6J JMrA==
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
These three patches are from a larger set that aims at completely removing the
GENERIC_GPIO option from platform code and config files as a first step towards
his complete removal. After that, the use of the generic GPIO API would be
provided through gpiolib. This series has already been discussed (see
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/3/12/167 for details and the rationale between these
patches) and approved by most architectures, but before having it rolled on
linux-next I'd like to hear from the 3 following architectures which have not
replied to the previous patch set and are the most likely to be affected by
this (other architectures almost all require gpiolib to start with).

mips: pnx833x: used to select GENERIC_GPIO but I'm not sure if it's needed at
all. I could not find a GPIO driver implementation that did not depend on
gpiolib. Platform code is sometimes subtle though, so it is possible that I
just missed it.

m68k: coldfire: turns gpiolib from optional to mandatory. Might increase the
kernels size by ~15KB for builds that did not make use of gpiolib (are there
still such builds?)

blackfin: turns gpiolib from optional to mandatory, same side-effect.

Note that all architectures *can* operate with gpiolib, but only the three
above leave the option to not do so. Since a new GPIO API is being prepared
around gpiolib amongst other features, the option of only supporting
GENERIC_GPIO leads to fragmentation and a lot of confusion for both drivers and
platform code.

If you have any good reason to not see these changes applied, please let me
know shortly - acks are welcome too.

Thanks,
Alex.

Alexandre Courbot (3):
  mips: pnx833x: remove requirement for GENERIC_GPIO
  m68k: coldfire: use gpiolib
  blackfin: force use of gpiolib

 arch/blackfin/Kconfig | 4 ++--
 arch/m68k/Kconfig.cpu | 3 +--