Re: RM9000 / E9000, MSP71xx class processors, SOCs and eval boards

To: Shane McDonald <>
Subject: Re: RM9000 / E9000, MSP71xx class processors, SOCs and eval boards
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:14:28 +0100
Cc: linux-mips <>,
On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 03:28:17PM -0600, Shane McDonald wrote:

> I'm interested in the MSP71xx eval board, although I may be
> the only person in the world who cares.  Specifically, I use the
> msp71xx_defconfig.  3.7-rc8 compiles with gcc-4.6.3
> without requiring any patches.
> I don't know when the last time the RM9000 was compilable,
> but I have no interest in that, nor do I have interest in the
> FPGA or eval board versions of the MSP7120 (no hardware to
> test with).
> I had hoped that someone from PMC-Sierra would respond, but
> maybe they don't care anymore...

Being a crazy tradition set by the Sparc AP1000, I'm happy with a single
user :-)

The Yosemite stuff scores higher on my kill list anyway.  The board
support code was never too great but that's not the issue; the SOC's
network driver which is rotting away in the git tree as
the last change that can't be merged upstream as it is, stopped even
compiling ages ago and while a superior replacement has been posted,
nobody cared enough to get it into mergeable shape.

Now that 3.7 is finally released, hasta la vista, Yosemite.