2GB userspace limitation in ABI N32

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: 2GB userspace limitation in ABI N32
From: Ronny Meeus <ronny.meeus@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:32:47 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=aMESkDqnAdIOchS4LR+7+ZxaGvncd2suA6oQwrg4Cag=; b=JcA2GySNMMupQuRRYMUiLG8SjkF1mxxg6NvOhx2C6C9VMCUmw6rmRFfM87wx9uxacP SoFhMBe7fxanjvlCJIp1Aah3cemSmicHJDiJPOxKtMuamQrnqQWQ8hnvnlrCiRfd9SPy UJoWGWY72nKW5BWq0/uLY0UhjLkscEmsaHhtnYYuDDWVMudI3Es+MbaC8zpeI23efVMX ARsFgHjKSP3uLIw38XAkUu9eNe3zBCou0Cj2TLxIXsmEhxCVa8RJu5UZn8fou2NoGR0q nJPz2irdhoacXv+a3ct5RTsIonzXJYMBHvqkPLXOl7TzTGNSnQXB/AlABs9VAf3y7oIk zKkQ==
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello

I have a legacy application that we want to port to a MIPS (Cavium)
architecture from a PPC based one.
The board has 4GB memory of which we actually need almost 3GB in
application space. On the PPC this is no issue since the split
user/kernel is 3GB/1GB.
We have to use the N32 ABI Initial tests on MIPS showed me the
user-space limit of 2GB.
We do not want to port the application to a 64bit

Now the question is: are there any workarounds, tricks existing to get
around this limitation?
I found some mailthreads on this subject (n32-big ABI -
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2011-02/msg00278.html,
http://elinux.org/images/1/1f/New-tricks-mips-linux.pdf) but is looks
like this is not accepted by the community. Is there any process
planned or made in this area?

Thanks

---
Ronny