Re: PCI Section mismatch error in linux-next.

To: Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>
Subject: Re: PCI Section mismatch error in linux-next.
From: Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@avionic-design.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:07:55 +0200
Cc: David Daney <ddaney.cavm@gmail.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-pci@vger.kernel.org, linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:32:45PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Thierry Reding
> <thierry.reding@avionic-design.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:44:31AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> >> Crap, there are lots of arches with this issue.  I'll fix it up.
> >> Thanks for pointing it out!
> >
> > Oh wow... looks like I've opened a can of worms there. This requires
> > quite a lot of other functions to have their annotations removed as
> > well. Bjorn, how do you want to handle this?
>
> David said "pdev_update_irq()," but I think he meant "pcibios_update_irq()."
>
> Almost all the pcibios_update_irq() implementations are identical, so
> I think I'll just supply a weak implementation and remove the
> redundant arch versions.

That makes sense. However I've just tested a build with section mismatch
debugging enabled on ARM and there are a few more that need __init or
__devinit removed to get rid of the warnings:

        pci_common_init()
        pcibios_init_hw()
        pcibios_init_resources()
        pcibios_swizzle()
        pcibios_update_irq()

pci_scan_root_bus() also needs __devinit removed. I haven't checked the
other architectures because I'll have to build cross-compilers for them
first, but I suspect most of them will have a similar list. I'm not sure
how well this kind of change is going to go down with the respective
architecture maintainers, though.

> This is just about the only thing in my "next" branch, so I'll clear
> it out for now, until we get this resolved.

Agreed. Do you want me to take a look at this or would you rather tackle
it yourself?

Thierry