Re: development board?

To: John Long <>
Subject: Re: development board?
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:00:05 +0200
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:38:17AM +0000, John Long wrote:

> If this is too expensive or you really prefer a dev board instead of an SBC
> then what about MIPS Malta? They don't list the price on their site but it
> is supposed to be a good board with good doc and I believe various BSD
> support it in addition to Linux.

The Malta is very expensive and also is a very old design.  On top of that
a Malta is just an ATX-format base board which needs a CPU card.  A
typical CPU card contains one or two of the biggest FPGAs money can buy
so the CPU itself can be replaced by loading a bitfile.  That is very
appealing to hardware developers but the FPGA dictate a very juicy price.