Re: [mips32r1 cpu] Advice needed: "Machine Check exception - caused by m

To: kr kr <kr-jiffy@yandex.ru>
Subject: Re: [mips32r1 cpu] Advice needed: "Machine Check exception - caused by multiple matching entries in the TLB"
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:16:02 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03:25AM +0400, kr kr wrote:

> [   12.560000] Kernel panic - not syncing: Caught Machine Check exception -
> caused by multiple matching entries in the TLB.

Running userland should never result in crashing the kernel except if
programs directly touch I/O hardware an do stupid things or abuse their
root priviledges..

This type of crash specifically has in the past been produced by incorrect
hazard barriers but also CPU hardware bugs so you may want to review the
kernel code against a CPU datasheet and errata documentation.  As always
with hardware that is only supported out of tree we can't be too helpful ...