Re: [GIT PULL] DMA-mapping framework updates for 3.4

To: Marek Szyprowski <m.szyprowski@samsung.com>, Dave Airlie <airlied@linux.ie>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] DMA-mapping framework updates for 3.4
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:35:48 -0700
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>, FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@lab.ntt.co.jp>, microblaze-uclinux@itee.uq.edu.au, linux-arch@vger.kernel.org, x86@kernel.org, linux-sh@vger.kernel.org, linux-alpha@vger.kernel.org, sparclinux@vger.kernel.org, linux-ia64@vger.kernel.org, linuxppc-dev@lists.ozlabs.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, discuss@x86-64.org, linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org, linux-mm@kvack.org, linaro-mm-sig@lists.linaro.org, Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>, Kyungmin Park <kyungmin.park@samsung.com>, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz <andrzej.p@samsung.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=V/u0CBW1Hww/z2u6rj1XZPqats0P2RiTnxRE2jkxlZA=; b=e0Ud41+4p2xbkwYG2oZ99cl5oD+4yvTVzMHuQK/Xz5Rpc/RQHfnoiTqQSuQznxhGch OMgFMr2o5ntRCAWEV2ZuQPLfLjl5J6SNunJr1/A0ePnxIHRE4AFTQvUzuVHNSMWfhWYA 6IYfALSSoab7mEDe3CaqPAfYhkfqBwz/QOxEesL81BO0HlklrDaeEwazOOOpdmxw1nsI DHaUPLdCewELS5ZrKDkhQZolLPWxcORR5mI9+slUWW2+ucOxhzAMrz1sh4MHbtL2z1ni XMh2xCroicOSt6SU3FmE0bbhmj+8lsVh0iGc/67+oGYhrz29RSvUnYt2iRjiRmOvGAN8 xj3w==
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Marek Szyprowski
<m.szyprowski@samsung.com> wrote:

>  git://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/linux-samsung dma-mapping-next
>
> Those patches introduce a new alloc method (with support for memory
> attributes) in dma_map_ops structure, which will later replace
> dma_alloc_coherent and dma_alloc_writecombine functions.

So I'm quite unhappy with these patches.

Here's just the few problems I saw from some *very* quick look-through
of the git tree:

 - I'm not seeing ack's from the architecture maintainers for the
patches that change some architecture.

 - Even more importantly, what I really want is acks and comments from
the people who are expected to *use* this.

 - it looks like patches break compilation half-way through the
series. Just one example I noticed: the "x86 adaptation" patch changes
the functions in lib/swiotlb.c, but afaik ia64 *also* uses those. So
now ia64 is broken until a couple of patches later. I suspect there
are other examples like that.

 - the sign-off chains are odd. What happened there? Several patches
are signed off by Kyungmin Park, but he doesn't seem to be "in the
chain" at all. Whazzup? (*)

(Btw, I notice the same thing in the tree I pulled from Dave Airlie,
btw - what the F is going on with samsung submissions - those are
marked as committed by Dave Airlie, and don't have Dave in the
sign-off chain at all!)

 - Finally, how/why are "dma attributes" different from the per-device
dma limits ("device_dma_parameters")

Hmm?

                  Linus

(*) Btw, I notice the same thing in the tree I pulled from Dave
Airlie, btw - what the F is going on with samsung submissions - those
are marked as committed by Dave Airlie, and don't have Dave in the
sign-off chain at all! Dave?