Re: [Patch v2]: Fix ld pr11138 FAILures on mips*.

To: David Daney <david.daney@cavium.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch v2]: Fix ld pr11138 FAILures on mips*.
From: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:19:20 +0000
Cc: binutils <binutils@sourceware.org>, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com>, Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@googlemail.com>, Debian MIPS <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>, linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=from:to:mail-followup-to:cc:subject:references:date:in-reply-to :message-id:user-agent:mime-version:content-type; bh=FUD905LAPgordNukFEaefCmiCijTYj0y1kkzl0Abv38=; b=SH3ENlZ4Nzcy83AihLeoZx8iPAPoghL0CZrWo1WtirwXUc7UYYpnLjYUgpN/AdQb/G 6OOSA+Q92FG4b9ChYKSHzvnAIDu3yKCl2cTDN5nj8EwpvWOTItF8i8uhuteuVFOXIzAv p4WUOnUj6zF6VBZX4wnoXCYNcSoyoeIvoaLm0=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
David Daney <david.daney@cavium.com> writes:
> I will wait a couple of days to give Richard a chance to object.

Looks good to me too.  Thanks for doing this.  I think it should go
on the 2.22 branch as well.

> I am especially concerned about what happens on IRIX where the symbol
> comes in from an external object rather than being generated by the
> linker itself.  I had no way to test that.

Me neither, unfortunately.  But I agree it looks right.  There's a
possibility that we could create the dynamic sections before the
definition of __rld_obj_head has been read in (e.g. from the
check_relocs of a previous object).  In that case it looks like
we would create the .rld_map section and __rld_map/__RLD_MAP symbol,
then later switch to __rld_obj_head.  .rld_map would then be left
at zero size and the __rld_map/__RLD_MAP symbol would be ignored
when setting the tag value.  But your patch preserves the
behaviour in that case too.

Richard