Re: [patch] hugetlb: remove dummy definitions of HPAGE_MASK and HPAGE_SI

To: David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] hugetlb: remove dummy definitions of HPAGE_MASK and HPAGE_SIZE
From: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:35:26 -0800
Cc: David Daney <ddaney.cavm@gmail.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, David Daney <david.daney@cavium.com>, linux-arch@vger.kernel.org, Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:22:53 -0800 (PST)
David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com> wrote:

> So, just remove the dummy and dangerous definitions since they are no
> longer needed and reveals the correct dependencies.  Tested on
> architectures using the definitions with allyesconfig: x86 (even with
> thp), hppa, mips, powerpc, s390, sh3, sh4, sparc, and sparc64, and
> with defconfig on ia64.

How could arch/mips/mm/tlb-r4k.c:local_flush_tlb_range() compile OK
with this change?

What that function is doing looks reasonable to me.  Why fill the poor
thing with an ifdef mess?

otoh, catching mistakes is good too.  Doing it at runtime as David
proposes is OK.