Re: Linux 2.6.39 on Cavium CN38xx

To: David Daney <ddaney@caviumnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.39 on Cavium CN38xx
From: Guenter Roeck <guenter.roeck@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:06:14 -0700
Cc: "linux-mips@linux-mips.org" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi David,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 05:41:57PM -0400, David Daney wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 02:08 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am trying to get Linux 2.6.39
>
> Where did you get your 2.6.39?  Or in othe rwords, what's the SHA1 Kenneth?
>
>From kernel.org. 2.6.39.1, more specifically. We have some local modifications,
but nothing relevant, ie nothing in the mips boot path.

> And, what is your .config?

Please see attached.

> > to run on a board with Cavium CN38xx
> > (pass 3, cpu ID 0x000d0003).
> >
> > Problem I have is that CPUs 1..15 come online, but get stuck in and
> > endless interrupt handling loop as soon as interrupts are enabled. I
> > attached a log generated with instrumentation code in the interrupt
> > handler.
> >
> > Any idea what I might be doing wrong ? Note that I don't start the
> > system from u-boot; the board uses OFW, so some register initialization
> > may be wrong.
> >

> Octeon only supports the Octeon u-boot 'bootoctlinux' protocol.

That is a little problem, obviously, since I am not in a position to modify OFW
on the board. I modified setup.c instead to get and initialize required
parameters
as passed from OFW.

> You have to make sure that the octeon_bootinfo structure is filled in
> properly, and all the CPUs in the core_mask enter the kernel.

All CPUs do enter the kernel. Problem is that they get stuck in an endless
interrupt loop as soon as interrupts are enabled for a core for the first time
(or soon thereafter).

I know (or at least I am quite sure) that I am doing something wrong during
initialization, I just hoped someone might have an idea what it might be.

Thanks,
Guenter