How can I access h/w registers in user space?

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: How can I access h/w registers in user space?
From: "Ardelean, Andrei" <Andrei.Ardelean@idt.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 08:41:48 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

1. My video processor has many h/w registers mapped in MIPS CPU physical
memory space. Do I have in Linux MIPS something like iopl() to allow me
to access h/w registers in user space? Is it anything similar available?

2. I studied mmap() solution but what I found unpleased is that I need
to malloc() space in user space equal to the IO memory space I want to
access which it is quite lot and it takes from system DDR RAM available
I have here. What I need is just to access a physical space which I know
that is mapped on internal registers.

Thanks,
Andrei