Re: Kernel link address assumption

To: Himanshu Chauhan <hschauhan@nulltrace.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel link address assumption
From: Yang Shi <yang.shi@windriver.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:06:37 +0800
Cc: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@paralogos.com>, linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Himanshu Chauhan 写道:
On Thursday 24 February 2011 11:46 PM, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
On 02/24/11 10:13, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
Hi,

Does Linux kernel for MIPS assumes that its link address is always in Kseg0?
What if I change the link address to somewhere in useg?

Your page fault handlers will be in for an interesting time. ;o)

What you describe can be, and is done, for virtualized kernels running on top of a hypervisor, but there's a bit more involved than just changing the link address.
Hi Kevin,

You just caught that. Thats what I am trying to evaluate. What all I would need to do apart from changing the link address. I am working on a bare metal hypervisor for MIPS architecture.

You need setup suitable TLB mappings for Linux kernel in bootloader or Hypervisor.

Yang

Any pointers?

Regards
Himanshu