Re: Memory needed for hibernation too much

To: Jacky Lam <>
Subject: Re: Memory needed for hibernation too much
From: 胡洪兵 <>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:55:12 +0800
Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <>, linux-mips <>
于 11/02/28 9:03, Jacky Lam 写道:
I create a 300GB swap space (just use up the remaining space in disk, no
special reason). Is that a problem?

You could try to change the memory model to "Sparese Memory".

Kernel type --->
 Memory model (Sparse Memory)  --->

On 2/25/2011 4:12 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:56, Jacky Lam<> wrote:
I try the hibernation feature with my MIPS box which has 128MB RAM.
boot up, it remains to have 110MB something. Then I mount ramfs on a
directory, create a file 100MB from /dev/urandom and enter
hibernation. The
process failed because of no memory. Then, I continue to cut the data
size and not success until 20MB.

I want to make sure if it is an expected behavior or I am doing some
How large is your swapspace? Hibernation needs space on swap to store
the contents
of RAM (that cannot be loaded again from somewhere else).

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a
hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something
like that.
-- Linus Torvalds

HuHongbing (Software Department)
Tel     : 0512-52308631
E-mail  :
MSN     : []
WEB     :
JiangSu Lemote Corp. Ltd.
MengLan, Yushan, Changshu, JiangSu Province, China