Re: Kernel link address assumption

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Subject: Re: Kernel link address assumption
From: Himanshu Chauhan <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 23:51:32 +0530
Cc: linux-mips <>
On Thursday 24 February 2011 11:46 PM, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
On 02/24/11 10:13, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:

Does Linux kernel for MIPS assumes that its link address is always in Kseg0?
What if I change the link address to somewhere in useg?

Your page fault handlers will be in for an interesting time. ;o)

What you describe can be, and is done, for virtualized kernels running on top of a hypervisor, but there's a bit more involved than just changing the link address.
Hi Kevin,

You just caught that. Thats what I am trying to evaluate. What all I would need to do apart from changing the link address. I am working on a bare metal hypervisor for MIPS architecture.

Any pointers?