Re: Merging SSB and HND/AI support

To: Michael Büsch <>
Subject: Re: Merging SSB and HND/AI support
From: Jonas Gorski <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:21:05 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=0z3063EbFr5GBNY1A8Am9EQqA1xaRPxrkBy7SODDG/E=; b=vKGSzCdNCMALg5/AQtgWBjql1ebAbNGrA1IGPq4LhIdGtJ8TbQPe05I38Znk4usoc6 wG2irKOeeRIqLIZ9cJQvnMG7IG0Q5XcYCGezciohx3ZIplsIqxl1cqwYhqY75MymXGqU PoRQ2kerjLS6LWRrM6wC/XA7yqAfH6mDTNlB0=
On 17 January 2011 11:56, Michael Büsch <> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 11:46 +0100, Jonas Gorski wrote:
>> a) Merge the HND/AI code into the current SSB code, or
>> b) add the missing code for SoCs to brcm80211 and replace the SSB code with
>> it.
> Why can't we keep those two platforms separated?
> Is there really a lot of shared code between SSB and HND/AI?

Yes, as far as I understand the AI bus behaves mostly like a SSB bus
except for places like enabling/disabling cores. E.g. the AI bus also
has a common core, which has a bit for telling whether its a SSB or AI
bus, and has the mostly the same registers as the SSB common cores (so
most driver_chipcommon_* stuff also applies for the AI bus).

> It's true that there's currently a lot of device functionality built
> into ssb. Like pci bridge, mips core, extif, etc...
> If you take all that code out, you're probably not left with anything.

That's because most shared code isn't in brcm80211, but only found in
the SDKs for the SoCs.

> So why do we need to replace or merge SSB in the first place? Can't
> it co-exist with HND/AI?

It probably can, but then the SSB code must be at least made AI aware
so it doesn't try to attach itself if it finds one. Also I don't know
if it is a good idea to let arch-specific code depend on code in