Re: CygWin Cross-tool Package?

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@kevink.net>
Subject: Re: CygWin Cross-tool Package?
From: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:23:11 +0100
Cc: Linux MIPS org <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:sender:from:organization:to :subject:date:user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:message-id; bh=mKGi2y7nZzUfZn+/lXrUqutk16fNmXdB83svydWH4mE=; b=TU+yvBd6Z5fkRmsec+YgQlzyN24t3cMD6TA06higbb0UYS0s+9FZFdeEUPx6s0Icfd LqOlWHFuqMAX2iFkWhXRbAT7x9PXiGAsfAsHhs7ptMc7ovGHRz9opLcIKWFjrkoZ2AUf xSujSWUyHxwTOuOI4FZseE1IqXErzBru4EGKQ=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello Kevin,

On Sunday 02 January 2011 21:06:22 Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
> As the person guilty of inventing the damned thing, I've been trying to
> help folks keep the SMTC kernel working, but it's strictly a spare-time
> thing - nobody pays me for time or materials.  So I'm not willing to
> spend the time and money to set up a Linux box at home that would serve
> only to build SMTC kernels.  For better or for worse, my home office
> system is a Windows XP machine.   I've got Cygwin installed, and that
> gives me git to peruse the sources, but I've got no means of building a
> kernel.  I know that, in theory, I could build my own MIPS/Linux cross
> tools under Cygwin, but looking at various email archives, it looks like
> the procedure is moderately complex and fragile, and, frankly, I just
> don't have the spare time to deal with it.  By any chance, could one of
> you point me to a functional, pre-built package I could install under
> Cygwin to do kernel builds?

Providing that you install of the required dependencies (subversion, flex,
bison ...), OpenWrt can build a Linux kernel and root filesystem under Cygwin.

Hope that helps.
--
Florian