Re: Does Linux Mips support compressed Kernel?

To: "Ardelean, Andrei" <Andrei.Ardelean@idt.com>
Subject: Re: Does Linux Mips support compressed Kernel?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:20:28 +0200
Cc: wu zhangjin <wuzhangjin@gmail.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=mGEqaPd5P8DGUhhuSzUq5+nWZAVKeFRj9mSW5gFh+Lk=; b=hueMrJ5AOS8UgSiq0meZVIwIc1UErCMcHAGG2yzL7txUADkkglg2Xmcb5pf8BwF8yr dPqNtsvvZygBcJ0NXZAeVaPvBrhMdUGWdZthzwCUdJFlct9CwW62Z7ejKoSNXtVSzsyS v3ZZq+7OoEOakbOGTRsOP8jOM2vRjzqYy9uls=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 21:07, Ardelean, Andrei <Andrei.Ardelean@idt.com> wrote:
> I am using MALTA board with 74K.
> From your email I understand that the bootloader must uncompress the
> Kernel before launching it, so the compressed Kernel cannot run and
> decompress itself? Could you confirm? I am asking that because in some
> book I have read that Linux can boot a compressed image and the Kernel
> was able to uncompress itself, but maybe it was my misunderstanding.

Linux itself indeed cannot decompress itself.
It's decompressed either by the bootloader, or by the (pre-Linux)
early startup code which
is wrapped around the kernel.

--
Gr{oetje,eeting}s,