Re: zboot for brcm

To: Waldemar Brodkorb <mail@waldemar-brodkorb.de>
Subject: Re: zboot for brcm
From: Wu Zhangjin <wuzhangjin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:14:38 +0800
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:reply-to:to:cc :in-reply-to:references:content-type:organization:date:message-id :mime-version:x-mailer:content-transfer-encoding; bh=rh2a/jwdihJidlQzbNOIJMFKWjx0TdvL5QECMwWex7Y=; b=C1TSlserR1R+yCriCB+YWxJ3907qJkLZ2qDOElFX862bacxglwln/8cqh0FOpTf2z7 I16AQiQTZlATaEuD/bZAi+3ujub7AqSRfhDjYmRN/YoeG3TuWUsc2kIprAHfbYy1nYgK wbe5TAq70H2LQVSWYOXc1CQ6jv8nNnGD8pJ9Q=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 19:24 +0200, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
[...]
> I know this is not correct, it should just illustrate, that only if
> I use this VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS, the decompressor code get executed.
> The bootloader CFE just loads every code to 0x80001000 and executes
> it.

oh, it is really bad, that's why it always boot at 0x80001000 and will
overwrite the decompressor, than it fail on booting. we need to do
something for it, can you change the source code of CFE? If yes, we need
to let the CFE load the code to the entry point of the elf file, but
anyway, it is not a good idea, we need to modify the current zboot
support to avoid touching the bootloader.

Here should be a solution:

We use VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS as VMLINUZ_LOAD_ADDRESS, but decompress the
kernel to VMLINUX_LOAD_ADDRESS + VMLINUZ_SIZE, it will not depends on
the bootloader, I think this will be a good idea and will solve your
problem ;) I will finish this patch asap, maybe tomorrow.

> > And you just need to select "SYS_SUPPORTS_ZBOOT_UART16550" for it will
> > select SYS_SUPPORTS_ZBOOT itself. and please do not remove "ifdef
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT" and the related "#endif" but enable
> > "CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT" in the .config(via make menuconfig) instead.
>
> Okay, but CONFIG_DEBUG_ZBOOT is not defined anywhere.

I have added this stuff to arch/mips/Kconfig.debug, you can find it via:

$ make menuconfig ARCH=mips

>> kernel hacking
   >> kernel debugging (DEBUG_KERNEL)
   >> Enable compressed kernel support debugging

Regards,
Wu Zhangjin