Re: Cross compiling MIPS kernel under x86

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling MIPS kernel under x86
From: octane indice <octane@alinto.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:58:25 +0200
Cc: Dmitri Vorobiev <dmitri.vorobiev@gmail.com>, octane indice <octane@alinto.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
En réponse à Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> :

> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 05:33:01PM +0300, Dmitri Vorobiev
> wrote:
>
> > It looks like your toolchain is quite old. I just tried building a
> > Cavium Octeon defconfig using my custom toolchain based on
> > GCC 4.3.1 and binutils 2.19.51.20090304, and the build was
> > successfull. Before you ask: yes, GCC did receive
> > `-march=octeon' :)

Ok, thanks :)

> Tools requirements to build a kernel have become a little bit
> confusing. I'm sure there are more restrictions that I've forgot.
>
>  * The Lemote 2F defconfig requires binutils 2.20 to build.
>  * GCC 3.2 is a lost cause for building 64-bit kernels
>  * GCC 3.3 is broken but can just about be kludged to build a
> 64-bit kernel.
>  * GCC 4.4 or a patched older version is required to build a
> kernel O2 or
>    Indigo² with R10000 processors.
>  * GCC 3.2 used to work for the rest but it's a very long time
> since I tested this for a modern kernel.
>  * Linux 2.6.29 and older need a GCC older than 4.4.0 to
> compile.

Ok. I'm following the info there:
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Toolchains
but infos seems a bit old, so I followed the main idea
with newer binutils and gcc-4.4.4

It is still compiling gcc. When it will finish, I will ping back
and say if it compiles an octeon kernel 2.6.34

Envoyé avec Inmano, ma messagerie renversante et gratuite :
http://www.inmano.com