Re: Cross compiling MIPS kernel under x86

To: Dmitri Vorobiev <dmitri.vorobiev@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling MIPS kernel under x86
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:13:41 +0100
Cc: octane indice <octane@alinto.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 05:33:01PM +0300, Dmitri Vorobiev wrote:

> It looks like your toolchain is quite old. I just tried building a
> Cavium Octeon defconfig using my custom toolchain based on GCC 4.3.1
> and binutils 2.19.51.20090304, and the build was successfull. Before
> you ask: yes, GCC did receive `-march=octeon' :)

Tools requirements to build a kernel have become a little bit confusing.
I'm sure there are more restrictions that I've forgot.

 * The Lemote 2F defconfig requires binutils 2.20 to build.
 * GCC 3.2 is a lost cause for building 64-bit kernels
 * GCC 3.3 is broken but can just about be kludged to build a 64-bit kernel.
 * GCC 4.4 or a patched older version is required to build a kernel O2 or
   Indigo² with R10000 processors.
 * GCC 3.2 used to work for the rest but it's a very long time since I
   tested this for a modern kernel.
 * Linux 2.6.29 and older need a GCC older than 4.4.0 to compile.