Re: linux 2.6.33 on movidis x16

To: Jan Rovins <janr@adax.com>
Subject: Re: linux 2.6.33 on movidis x16
From: Peter 'p2' De Schrijver <p2@debian.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:52:45 +0200
Cc: David Daney <ddaney@caviumnetworks.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

> You are right, it is called an x16.  My memory is failing me, I should
> have looked at the machine first.

Ok :)

> [...]
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 10Mb/s
>        Duplex: Half
>        Port: MII
>        PHYAD: 3
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Link detected: no
> Settings for eth3:
>        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 10Mb/s
>        Duplex: Half
>        Port: MII
>        PHYAD: 4
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Link detected: no
> Settings for eth4:
>        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 100Mb/s
>        Duplex: Full
>        Port: MII
>        PHYAD: 0
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Link detected: yes
> Settings for eth5:
>        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 100Mb/s
>        Duplex: Full
>        Port: MII
>        PHYAD: 0
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Link detected: yes
> Settings for eth6:
>        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Speed: 100Mb/s
>        Duplex: Full
>        Port: MII
>        PHYAD: 0
>        Transceiver: internal
>        Auto-negotiation: on
>        Link detected: yes
> Settings for eth7:
>        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
>        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

PHYAD 0 for ports 4 - 7 seems a bit strange to me. Do you have the sources of
the
kernel you're running on those machines ? If so, could you look at
int cvmx_helper_board_get_mii_address(int ipd_port) in cvmx-helper-board.c ?
It contains a large switch statement. case CVMX_BOARD_TYPE_CUST_WSX16: is what
I'm
interested in.

> You may want to re-map the interfaces so that they show up in a sane
> order, there is a cluster of 8 ethernet ports, 4 per row.  Right now on
> our boxes , eth0 shows up on the bottom row, second  from the right.

Thanks,

Peter.