VMALLOC_END, TASK_SIZE and FIXADDR_START for 64 bit MIPS kernels

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: VMALLOC_END, TASK_SIZE and FIXADDR_START for 64 bit MIPS kernels
From: Guenter Roeck <guenter.roeck@ericsson.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:22:50 -0800
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi,

since it came up during the review of the patch for virtual memory detection
on 64 bit mips kernels, I looked further into making vmalloc_end
a variable and TASK_SIZE dependent on the virtual memory size.

That turned out to be relatively straightforward, and I have a working patch.

The one question I still have is about FIXADDR_START.  It is currently
set to one of 0xff000000, 0xfffe0000, or (0xff000000 - 0x20000),
depending on the target CPU.

Quoting from one of the comments during the review,
        " ... ensure the value of vmalloc_end is <= FIXADDR_START".

Obviously that is currently not the case. Is that a concern, or is it good as
it is ?

Thanks,
Guenter