Re: 1 GB RAM with RM9000 SOC

To: "Anoop P.A." <>
Subject: Re: 1 GB RAM with RM9000 SOC
From: David Daney <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:15:21 -0800
Anoop P.A. wrote:
Hi list,

Any of you successfully used >512MB ram with MIPS SOC's.

Does Cavium Octeon count as a MIPS SOC?  If so, then yes.

I have many boards with both 2GB and 4GB. All of them Linux just fine when using all available RAM.

I have a
requirement where I have to use 1 GB ram with RM9000 based SOC.
I have enabled 64 Bit support and so far it is working with 512 MB of
RAM. How ever if I increase memory beyond 512MB I am getting kernel

 I am adding memory region from 0x00 add_memory_region(0 ,0x40000000 ,
BOOT_MEM_RAM). (PMON maps RAM from 0x0 to 0x40000000)  Am I wrong here?

It will be great if you can give some suggestion /point me to a working
implementation. I am using 2.6.18 kernel.