Re: Lots of bugs with current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE

To: David Daney <ddaney@caviumnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Lots of bugs with current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE
From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:34:15 -0500
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, kernel-janitors <kernel-janitors@vger.kernel.org>, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>, linux-arch@vger.kernel.org, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 11:18 -0800, David Daney wrote:
> Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Peter Zijlstra and I were doing a look over of places that assign
> > current->state = TASK_*INTERRUPTIBLE, by simply looking at places with:
> >
> >  $ git grep -A1 'state[[:space:]]*=[[:space:]]*TASK_[^R]'
> >
> > and it seems there are quite a few places that looks like bugs. To be on
> > the safe side, everything outside of a run queue lock that sets the
> > current state to something other than TASK_RUNNING (or dead) should be
> > using set_current_state().
> >
> >     current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
> >     schedule();
> >
> > is probably OK, but it would not hurt to be consistent. Here's a few
> > examples of likely bugs:
> >
> [...]
>
> This may be a bit off topic, but exactly which type of barrier should
> set_current_state() be implying?
>
> On MIPS, set_mb() (which is used by set_current_state()) has a full mb().
>
> Some MIPS based processors have a much lighter weight wmb().  Could
> wmb() be used in place of mb() here?

Nope, wmb() is not enough. Below is an explanation.

> If not, an explanation of the required memory ordering semantics here
> would be appreciated.
>
> I know the documentation says:
>
>      set_current_state() includes a barrier so that the write of
>      current->state is correctly serialised wrt the caller's subsequent
>      test of whether to actually sleep:
>
>       set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
>       if (do_i_need_to_sleep())
>               schedule();
>

> Since the current CPU sees the memory accesses in order, what can be
> happening on other CPUs that would require a full mb()?

Lets look at a hypothetical situation with:

        add_wait_queue();
        current->state = TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE;
        smp_wmb();
        if (!x)
                schedule();

Then somewhere we probably have:

        x = 1;
        smp_wmb();
        wake_up(queue);

           CPU 0                           CPU 1
        ------------                    -----------
        add_wait_queue();
        (cpu pipeline sees a load
         of x ahead, and preloads it)
                                        x = 1;
                                        smp_wmb();
                                        wake_up(queue);
                                        (task on CPU 0 is still at
                                         TASK_RUNNING);

        current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
        smp_wmb(); <<-- does not prevent early loading of x
        if (!x)  <<-- returns true
                schedule();

Now the task on CPU 0 missed the wake up.

Note, places that call schedule() are not fast paths, and probably not
called often. Adding the overhead of smp_mb() to ensure correctness is a
small price to pay compared to search for why you have a stuck task that
was never woken up.

Read Documentation/memory-barriers.txt, it will be worth the time you
spend doing so.

-- Steve