Re: Warning about add_wired_entry

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Warning about add_wired_entry
From: "pascal@pabr.org" <pascal@pabr.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:41:04 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ralf Baechle wrote:
> The kernel does not reserve any address space for use by add_wired_entry().
> In other words there is the possibility that vmalloc, ioremap or other
> kernel APIs will use the same address space resulting in a crash or worse.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

But what is the alternative ?  I have an Alchemy 1550 board with
an ethernet chip at 0xD-1000-0000, and last time I tried, enabling
  CONFIG_64BIT_PHYS_ADDR,
  CONFIG_ARCH_PHYS_ADDR_T_64BIT and
  CONFIG_PHYS_ADDR_T_64BIT
did not seem to allow access to the 36-bit I/O address space
through the platform_get_resource/request_mem_region machinery.
Is this supposed to work now ?

Pascal