Re: BCM63xx merge progress

To: Hector Martin <hector@marcansoft.com>
Subject: Re: BCM63xx merge progress
From: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:14:21 +0100
Cc: mbizon@freebox.fr, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:sender:from:organization:to :subject:date:user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:message-id; bh=gKG1ke0R22escYcGihul1c51Gg5SMIDL/g7XLYErLuk=; b=ApkLef2XNL6zM5PvF4kezq/b/vOSiQ1BZ3vxYu6BUEMz5u9KsJzQbAoLRYMpxG5C12 vz6oluJxNMeBhpqvjktTpFUwefg0701QxiwSrZQuMrYD1a93Auv5OlpLhLdvVtAwsHWf Mqcge7NxYy0I24j89cVKdEXUfW6EgDuFKR3EM=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wednesday 02 December 2009 01:25:49 Hector Martin wrote:
> Maxime Bizon wrote:
> > Which part is broken/missing on your side ?
>
> Well, there's a commit (4059ddb4) that claims to "Add USB OHCI support",
> yet it only adds a #include to ohci-hcd.c and a few .h bits. The actual
> ohci-bcm63xx.c is missing, which means the OHCI driver probably won't
> even compile. It's also missing the relevant platform device stuff in
> arch/. This concerned me somewhat, it looked like something weird had
> happened and the merge was incomplete.
>
> Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > Everything that Maxime sent is, or will be merged either in 2.6.32 or
> > in 2.6.33, that includes:
> > - arch/mips/bcm63xx (will be in 2.6.32)
> > - USB driver bits (2.6.33)
> > - Ethernet MAC driver bits (2.6.32)
> > - Ethernet PHY driver bits (2.6.32)
> > - UART driver (2.6.32)
> > - PCMCIA support (2.6.32)
>
> I can see the 2.6.32 stuff already. Regarding USB, is there a repo with
> the commit that will be in .33? Otherwise I'll just have to merge it
> locally and work from there for the moment. What's up with the weirdo
> commit mentioned above?
>
> > We maintain a couple of different patches for OpenWrt, specifically
> > the mtd partition parser since we provide images, so the box should
> > boot from Flash. That driver is not in a mergable state at the moment.
> > There is also a embryon of a SPI driver and a watchdog driver, which I
> > will probably submit once cleaned up.
>
> Another tidbit I saw in the OpenWRT set is the reset button GPIO
> support. I want to have that (eventually) too.

The gpio-buttons driver that we use in OpenWrt to do that is not that perfect
and handling reset and other buttons is a distribution side problem since not
evryone wants to map a button to a functionnality.

> Basically, my dilemma is simply that I want to work off of mainline
> (especially since stuff has been partially merged already and changes
> have been made), yet I need the missing patches in order to make this
> work completely. So eventually I need a tree that contains everything I
> need, whether a few individual commits are not really ready for mainline
> or not. In doing this, I obviously want to keep in sync with any work
> that has been done already as much as possible. So please do tell if
> there's a specific place I should be looking at for mainline-compatible
> versions of these patches, or anything closer to what will eventually be
> merged. As I said, I don't mind doing the merges myself, but then it
> might make rebasing onto mainline harder if your official patches are
> merged in a substantially different way once they do make it to
> mainline. And if I do end up merging stuff, I might as well send it to
> you to save you some time.

2.6.33-rc will have the remaining bits, so if you should start working with
something, better wait a for couple of days. Depending on what you are
planning to work on, you really do not need to have everything merged.
--
WBR, Florian