Re: BCM63xx merge progress

To: Hector Martin <hector@marcansoft.com>
Subject: Re: BCM63xx merge progress
From: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 00:05:06 +0100
Cc: Maxime Bizon <mbizon@freebox.fr>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:sender:from:reply-to:to :subject:date:user-agent:cc:references:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:message-id; bh=7LlNs2nqT4RE1ESpQ8iuYDgr+4QM6+Bb9ftDmpGnwk8=; b=L6ccUC+EFj91K57gUfSplyKFwzHKTxNPpL2OXcHqfIE/1T3Dn7ryVYojWxYXcVXp9f tTupMkK98kv+rd+IbttkFif2hh4mMqn+3ftve0fZnPBeaZe5DUTZVV8ON0YSrmOmTUpc Cv0YTpEiC2APTSBi453VafQd7mxhttnPbNspY=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello Hector,

Le mardi 1 décembre 2009 23:23:10, Hector Martin a écrit :
> Hello, Maxime and Florian,
>
> I saw that partial BCM63xx support has been merged into mainline. As I
> am interested in developing a driver for this platform, I would like to
> inquire as to the state of the remaining bits to merge. As it stands
> now, the code merged into mainline is rather broken and incomplete.
>
> I'll be happy to grab the code myself and get the patches in proper
> merging order for mainline if nobody else is working / has time for it
> at the moment, so I'm asking first.

Everything that Maxime sent is, or will be merged either in 2.6.32 or in
2.6.33, that includes:
- arch/mips/bcm63xx (will be in 2.6.32)
- USB driver bits (2.6.33)
- Ethernet MAC driver bits (2.6.32)
- Ethernet PHY driver bits (2.6.32)
- UART driver (2.6.32)
- PCMCIA support (2.6.32)

> I have a BCM63xx router and will be testing whatever I work on, both
> compiling and running. My current reference is the OpenWRT patchset,
> which is against an older kernel but seems to be working pretty well on
> the actual hardware. I've also seen the linux-bcm63xx.git tree. Between
> these I should be able to put together a decent set of commits that
> cleanly apply onto current mainline.

We maintain a couple of different patches for OpenWrt, specifically the mtd
partition parser since we provide images, so the box should boot from Flash.
That driver is not in a mergable state at the moment. There is also a embryon
of a SPI driver and a watchdog driver, which I will probably submit once
cleaned up.

> Please let me know what your thoughts are, and whether I should proceed
> and work on this myself or whether you have other plans.

My plans are currently to maintain the bcm63xx board code and drivers in a
working state for the community, probably not much.
--
Best regards, Florian Fainelli
Email: florian@openwrt.org