Re: [BUG] drivers/video/sis: deadlock introduced by "fbdev: add mutex fo

To: Wu Zhangjin <wuzhangjin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] drivers/video/sis: deadlock introduced by "fbdev: add mutex for fb_mmap locking"
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 07:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-media@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Krzysztof Helt <krzysztof.h1@wp.pl>, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl>, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, 晏华 <yanh@lemote.com>, zhangfx <zhangfx@lemote.com>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Wu Zhangjin wrote:

> then it works! so, I guess there is a deadlock introduced by the above
> commit.

Hmm. Perhaps more likely, the 'mm_lock' mutex hasn't even been initialized
yet.  We appear to have had that problem with matroxfb and sm501fb, and it
may be more common than that. See commit f50bf2b2.

That said, I do agree that the mm_lock seems to be causing more problems
than it actually fixes, and maybe we should revert it. Krzysztof?

                Linus