Re: smtc support

To: Anoop P A <>
Subject: Re: smtc support
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:09:00 -0700
As the guy who wrote the SMTC stuff, I'd recommend picking up something newer. Ralf has merged some of the subsequent improvements and fixes into 2.6.18, but not the patches that I made last year to allow tickless support, which is actually a very, very good thing to have for SMTC. That support was initially available in 2.6.24, but subsequently got broken by some changes to control register manipulation APIs that I identified and fixed a few months ago. Ralf back-merged them into several recent baselines, but I'm not sure which ones. 2.6.29-stable seems to have all the right patches applied for SMTC, but of course I can't tell whether there would be other issues for your platform.

         Kevin K.

Anoop P A wrote:
Hi List,

I have got a reference board with mips 34k core SOC.I am planning to enable smtc/smp support . The reference kernel I am having is linux-2.6.18 which is in uniprocessor mode.

Could any of you suggest me in which way i have to proceed?. Does it make sense to continue using 2.6.18 or port newer kernel version ( which might be having better SMTC/SMP support)?