Re: Qube2 slowly dies

To: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>
Subject: Re: Qube2 slowly dies
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:24:57 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1244643898; bh=ZLFCAuampoqwApXx+6X9l/axrRqvDZLp+MxGHRau19k=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=GgcprVT+JCEXyjq7YiExZKsbjkohkXdQVoCgO0HoZOe4m9OrsgsJD4L1+VcodGwK+wLrRec1ztbzjaio2g0STVypf/ttJkKnR1NsCCCJZblbLCKP+ZLTmD1LO65Ys1zPgua++Qpq6JwFNsEESwjNdQqY0m2sIf0gyO5R8l01T58=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Florian,

> From: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>

> Determine which process consumes all that memory. Can you
> describe which
> programs you are running on your Qube2 ?

That's exactly it - I couldn't see anything using excessive memory.

> I have been running linux-mips git builds for about a year
> and half now on my
> Qube2 without any troubles, the box serves as NFS/FTP
> server and works pretty
> well and sustains bandwidth.

Thats good to hear anyway.

> My guess is that you are having a hardware problem or the
> box might not be
> cooled as it should be.

I have 2 qubes, both cooled properly and both have run netbsd as solid as a
rock for the past 3 years. My usual yearly upgrade routine is prepare a fresh
qube and switch them, when I do this I normally have 1 year+ uptime.

I should mention that I've been using this qube with netbsd without issue for
years.

> If you want, you can test the
> following kernel which
> I have been running on this qube2 for some months:
> http://alphacore.org/~florian/linux-mips/qube/

Thanks, I will have a go with one of those - I'll have to lookup my notes on
preparing a kernel for debian though.

If it is not the kernel though (I suspect it is not) Any Ideas what I should be
looking at to catch whatever is causing this? I've checked memory usage, turned
off dma, and there isn't much IO load.  As it's a qube there's plenty of CPU
load.

?