Re: MIPS: Sibyte: Remove irritating printk from set_affinity

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: MIPS: Sibyte: Remove irritating printk from set_affinity
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:07:15 +0100 (WEST)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, linux-mips@linux-mips.org wrote:

> set_affinity() will be called with cpui masks, which have more than one
> cpu set.  Instead of generating noise we now select the first set
> cpu and use that for setting affinity.  The printk was being triggered
> frequently by recent distributions running on recent kernels.

 For the record: I don't think it relates to a distribution being "recent"
at all -- the noise happens with my board with recent kernels and does not
with older ones even though the userland is always the same.  Something
must have changed within the kernel itself and it may be worth
investigating what, why and whether it is legitimate.  I fear the change
may be papering over some bug elsewhere.

  Maciej