Re: [loongson-PATCH-v3 00/25] loongson-based machines support

To: Wu Zhangjin <>
Subject: Re: [loongson-PATCH-v3 00/25] loongson-based machines support
From: Zhang Le <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 03:23:10 +0800
Cc:,, Yan Hua <>, Philippe Vachon <>, Zhang Fuxin <>, loongson-dev <>, Liu Junliang <>, Erwan Lerale <>
On 02:18 Tue 09 Jun     , Wu Zhangjin wrote:
> > >   change the naming methods
> >
> > In this patch, I found function get_system_type() still returns wrong name,
> > "lemote-fulong". In later patches, I found this string was changed to a
> > macro,
> > MACH_NAME. Then, the function becomes more complicated and/or sophisticated,
> > because of the addition of machname array.
> the MACH_NAME macro method is originally picked from lm2e-fixes branch
> of Philippe's git://, this method is
> used to share the get_system_type() function between different machines.
> and the machtype with machname array is only used to share the same
> kernel image file between yeeloong-7inch(menglong?) and yeeloong-8.9inch
> source code.
> I think it will be "bad" to add a new kernel option named MENGLONG or
> something else, and add a new yeeloong-7inch directory in
> arch/mips/loongson/ for it, because the difference between
> yeeloong-7inch and yeeloong-8.0 inch is very small(the shutdown logic
> and screen size). and also, simply add two new kernel options like
> YEELOONG-7INCH and YEELOONG-89INCH with #ifdef..#else...#endif is also
> not that good, is that?
> so, i just added a machtype kernel command line(perhaps we can use the
> systype or machtype variable in pmon instead as Arnaud Patard
> suggested). and perhaps this machtype can also be used to share the the
> kernel image file among the future machines.
> what about your suggestion here? is there another good solution? or just
> keep it simple: just define the get_system_type() function for every
> machine and add a new kernel option for yeeloong-7inch?

Sorry for the confusion caused. However actually my point here has nothing to
do with the implementation of get_system_type().

I just hope it appears once and only once in the series of patches. I hope this
time it is clearer. :)

Zhang, Le
Gentoo/Loongson Developer
0260 C902 B8F8 6506 6586 2B90 BC51 C808 1E4E 2973