Re: [loongson-PATCH-v3 17/25] add a machtype kernel command line argumen

To: Arnaud Patard <apatard@mandriva.com>
Subject: Re: [loongson-PATCH-v3 17/25] add a machtype kernel command line argument
From: Wu Zhangjin <wuzhangjin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 00:04:33 +0800
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, ralf@linux-mips.org, Yan Hua <yanh@lemote.com>, Philippe Vachon <philippe@cowpig.ca>, Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org>, Zhang Fuxin <zhangfx@lemote.com>, loongson-dev <loongson-dev@googlegroups.com>, Liu Junliang <liujl@lemote.com>, Erwan Lerale <erwan@thiscow.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:reply-to:to:cc :in-reply-to:references:content-type:organization:date:message-id :mime-version:x-mailer:content-transfer-encoding; bh=jYOtBrk2gPliAwvR+fY8FhIQWjR97QtUPLkMyCKNgmk=; b=Hn7wWaos+NXtceKeAWCQHHf7qS/rs5KlIMOCx+NkPt+5osai18A8WsvFxofPjPXKES aAGn68BirWOshKN3B0BWpVggRpDLR/O2kXJ1UGqaVueUGes1rifnB5R18Kaf4k3RaAzy suD8HCpwkXc9EJOvOnhG2bFZYhb7yhYju6UZo=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 15:51 +0200, Arnaud Patard wrote:
> wuzhangjin@gmail.com writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > From: Wu Zhangjin <wuzj@lemote.com>
> >
> > the difference between yeeloong-7inch and yeeloong-8.9inch is very
> > small, only including the screen size and shutdown logic. so, it's very
> > important to share the same kernel image file between them instead of
> > adding some new kernel config options. benefit from this, the
> > distribution developers only have a need to compile the kernel one time.
> >
> > to share the same kernel image file between yeelooong-7inch and
> > yeeloong-8.9inch, there is a need to add a kernel command line, here I
> > name is machtype, it works like this:
> >
> >     machtype=lemote-yeeloong-2f-7inch
> >           company - product - cpu revision - size
>
> I'm curious. Why can't you use the boot monitor to pass the right
> machine type instead ? iirc, you're using pmon and pmon has a variable
> called "systype". If the systype variable is not designed for that, I'll
> be happy to know its use :)

yes, I just checked the PMON variables, there is "systype" there, but
seems can not be set(when reboot, will become the original one), maybe
hard-coded in PMON? so i added another PMON variable: machtype, and
added some source code: if there is a PMON machtype variable there,
transfer it to a kernel command line.

but i think using a kernel command line is better, because we can either
set it as the karg variable in PMON or pass it in the boot.cfg, which is
more flexible and in-dependent from the bootloader.

and perhaps, someday, we can share the same kernel image file between
fuloong2f box and yeeloong2f laptop via this kernel command line:
machtype, because there is really only a few difference between
them(only the reboot/shutdown logic, serial port). I really want to
share them and remove one of the irq.c file :-)

thanks!
Wu Zhangjin