Re: [loongson-support 00/27] linux PATCHes of loongson-based machines

To: wuzhangjin@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [loongson-support 00/27] linux PATCHes of loongson-based machines
From: Daniel Clark <dclark@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:30:02 -0400
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>, Yan hua <yanh@lemote.com>, Philippe Vachon <philippe@cowpig.ca>, Zhang Le <r0bertz@gentoo.org>, Zhang Fuxin <zhangfx@lemote.com>, Arnaud Patard <apatard@mandriva.com>, loongson-dev@googlegroups.com, gnewsense-dev@nongnu.org, Nicholas Mc Guire <hofrat@hofr.at>, Liu Junliang <liujl@lemote.com>, Erwan Lerale <erwan@thiscow.com>, rms@gnu.org
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.ports.mips.general, gmane.linux.distributions.gnewsense.devel
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
> From: Wu Zhangjin <wuzhangjin@gmail.com>
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have cleaned up the source code of loongson-based machines support and
> updated it to linux-2.6.29.3, the latest result is put to the following git
> repository:
>
>    git://dev.lemote.com/rt4ls.git  to-ralf
>       or
>    http://dev.lemote.com/cgit/rt4ls.git/log/?h=to-ralf
>
> this job is based on the to-mips branch of Yanhua's
> git://dev.lemote.com/linux_loongson.git and the lm2e-fixes branch of
> Philippe's
> git://git.linux-cisco.org/linux-mips.git. thanks goes to them.
>
> and also, thanks goes to Erwen and heihaier for testing the latest branch, and
> thanks ralf, zhangLe, john and the other guyes for reviewing the old branch
> and
> giving good suggestions.
>
> the most differences between this branch and the old branch include:
>
>    * all of these patches are checked by script/checkpatch.pl, only a few
>    warnings left.
>
>    * the cs5536 part have been cleaned up deeply. the old pcireg.h is removed
>    via using the include/linux/pci_regs.h instead. and the old cs5536_vsm.c is
>    divided to several modules, one file one module.
>
>    * the source code in driver/video/smi in cleaned up a lot, two trashy
> header
>    files are removed, and several trashy functions are removed, lots of coding
>    style errors and warnings are cleaned up.
>
>    * gcc 4.4 support, including 32bit and 64bit, and also it is gcc 4.3
>    compatiable
>
> I have tested it in 32bit and 64bit with gcc 4.3 on fuloong(2e), fuloong(2f),
> yeeloong(2f), all of them work well, and also test it in 32bit and 64bit with
> gcc 4.4 on fuloong(2f), works normally. Erwen and heihaier have tested it in
> 64bit with gcc 4.4 on a yeeloong laptop.

Wow this is great. Does this branch also include the suspend-to-disk /
resume-from-disk code from the lemote 2.6.27 STD branch?

From a user's perspective, what are the loongson-oriented improvements
of this branch over the existing 2.6.27 branch?

I'd also like to know if:

(a) the ec-modules and

(b) the rtl8187b code

that is currently separate from the main lemote linux 2.6.27 git (the
former in a git repository, the later only in a .tar.gz file as far as I
know) is included in the 2.6.29.3 branch now.

I can of course check this via git when I have internet access next, but
I'm guessing you would be able to provide context beyond just the code
changes to the answers of these questions  :-)

Oh, and one last thing - is compilation with the lemote-patched binutils
/ "-mfix-gs2f-kernel" "-mfix-ls2f-kernel" (I'm told these did the same
things, the name just changed for some reason - currently I'm using a
binutils / as that understands the "-mfix-ls2f-kernel" option) still
needed? Without this in the 2.6.27 branch, and esp. with the ec-modules,
there were very frequent hard linux crashes (sysrq keys not working).

BTW for me, this is interesting in the context of
http://config.fsf.org/trac/public/wiki/RmsLinuxForYou , which I have
several people helping me test at the moment - currently the biggest
issue is hard crashes every day or other day, or more frequently if
there is a lot of disk or usb I/O.

Thanks,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny