Re: Linux on Linksys PSUS4?

To: Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org>
Subject: Re: Linux on Linksys PSUS4?
From: Andrew Wiley <debio264@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:12:30 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=aDiENktRGw9wbxpJ48blwLu4sRvHWwidqhnkCJ5UQvY=; b=OaoQDBF146dzMsFOMjPiyWgZp0NEqhS415XCAOUBbVrwTnIsqmtqLEJPc0amnjQFeK qM9WAQAJfZnIOrwPfpC+PFF5Cod9vJLxKJ/TA6ctvvkReNs17mzp87iDF1lqIMFlHj0s OmHdK1aoYeBUNAmfqFAE9vERz/NMbPIYql67Y=
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Florian Fainelli <florian@openwrt.org> wrote:
Le Tuesday 28 April 2009 13:58:38 Andrew Wiley, vous avez écrit :
> I stumbled onto this website while doing some research on a Linksys
> printserver I retired a while back (the firmware kept crashing, but I don't
> think it was a hardware problem), and I'm wondering if it would be possible
> to install Linux on it. It has an ADM5120P, and the hardware seems to be
> supported, but how would I go about installing anything? Is there a serial
> port header that I need to use? Would using it equate to soldering a serial
> port to it?

Soldering a seria port is not an option if you want to do something serious
with it.

Then how would it normally be done? I'm hoping to do this more for the experience than for the final product, if only because there's a chance that the reboot problem is hardware related, and the whole box is fairly useless right now.

> Is it even feasible to have a linux system running on 1MB of flash and 4 MB
> of RAM?

That's too small you would need at least 2MB Flash and 8MB RAM.

Could 2MB hold a full kernel? If I can compile in the right USB drivers, I can put the rootfs on a flash drive in the USB port (this is a printserver, so it has one), right?

Andrew Wiley