Re: dec_esp?

To: Craig Prescott <cpp@ekkaia.net>
Subject: Re: dec_esp?
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:59:52 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Craig Prescott wrote:

> I've built a 2.6.28.4 kernel from LinuxMIPS.org and have booted it on one of
> my DECstations.  No SCSI devices are detected, though.
>
> I noted that the dec_esp driver was removed from the kernel.  Does an
> alternative exist?

 Not at the moment.  I meant to write frontends for the esp_scsi core, but
got stuck with interrupts for the PMAZC card -- the core has to be
redesigned (the way the core handles them right now is awful) to get the
card supported correctly and I didn't have time to get into it yet.
Simpler wirings such as the PMAZ card or the IOASIC setup might be
supportable more easily, but said support would have to be rewritten once
the core has been fixed.

 You're the first one to ask since the old driver was removed -- which is
sort of indicative of how much interest (beyond myself) in the platform is
there.  I have planned to get back at it once I am done with what I'm
doing at the moment (which'll take a while yet), so I have noted your
request, but feel free to look into the driver if you like.  There's a GIT
tree at kernel.org dedicated to ESP development and the point of contact
is DaveM.

  Maciej