Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?

To: David Wuertele <dave+gmane@wuertele.com>
Subject: Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@paralogos.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 00:54:56 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
David Wuertele wrote:
> I think I might not need the CEVT components... I'm going to look into that
> next.  But I wish there was some easy to find documentation about why this
> code had to be moved into the arch/mips/cevt-*.c and arch/mips/csrc-*.c
> libraries.

The "architecture independent" common event timer infrastructure has the
defects of being very poorly documented and (in my opinion) messier than
it needs to be.  But it has the virtue of making it straightforward to
get tickless operation via CONFIG_NO_HZ, which improves both throughput
and power consumption on most MIPS platforms.  If you've got it working
on your platform, keep it!

          Regards,

          Kevin K.