Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?

To: David Wuertele <>
Subject: Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?
From: David Daney <>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:47:05 -0700
David Wuertele wrote:
I wrote:

Has the system timer paradigm changed between 2.6.18 and 2.6.29?
I'm trying to update my Broadcom-based embedded system to 2.6.29,
and I'm running into problems getting the system timer to run.

I solved my problem, though I'm still a little unclear about the reasoning.

The solution was to enable these:

I also had to define get_c0_compare_int() to return the system timer
interrupt.  Once I had done these things, start_kernel() calls time_init(),
which calls mips_clockevent_init() and init_mips_clocksource().
init_mips_clocksource() calls the init_r4k_clocksource() that was
enabled with the new config options.  Now my system clock runs like I think it

I think I might not need the CEVT components... I'm going to look into that

No, you do need them. That is the source of the interrupts. Using the standard cevt-r4k.c you get nice things like the tickless kernel all for free.

But I wish there was some easy to find documentation about why this
code had to be moved into the arch/mips/cevt-*.c and arch/mips/csrc-*.c

It had to change because the entire Linux time keeping infrastructure change to use the generic clock source and clock event system.

David Daney