Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: What is the right way to setup MIPS timer irq in 2.6.29?
From: David Wuertele <dave+gmane@wuertele.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:01:43 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I wrote:

> Has the system timer paradigm changed between 2.6.18 and 2.6.29?
> I'm trying to update my Broadcom-based embedded system to 2.6.29,
> and I'm running into problems getting the system timer to run.

I solved my problem, though I'm still a little unclear about the reasoning.

The solution was to enable these:
CONFIG_CEVT_R4K=y
CONFIG_CSRC_R4K=y

I also had to define get_c0_compare_int() to return the system timer
interrupt.  Once I had done these things, start_kernel() calls time_init(),
which calls mips_clockevent_init() and init_mips_clocksource().
init_mips_clocksource() calls the init_r4k_clocksource() that was
enabled with the new config options.  Now my system clock runs like I think it
should.

I think I might not need the CEVT components... I'm going to look into that
next.  But I wish there was some easy to find documentation about why this
code had to be moved into the arch/mips/cevt-*.c and arch/mips/csrc-*.c
libraries.

Dave