Re: VPE loader support on 34K

To: Alan Wu <alan.wu@mstarsemi.com>
Subject: Re: VPE loader support on 34K
From: "tiejun.chen" <tiejun.chen@windriver.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:42:50 +0800
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Alan Wu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm porting 2.6.26 Linux on the platform of MIPS 34K. Currently, the
> uni-processor
> kernel model(1 VPE) and SMP model (2 VPE) are up and work perfectly.
>
> Now, I need to port the AP/SP model on a normal Linux uniprocessor kernel
> model.
> I'd like to load an application program (ELF ?) into kernel space where this
> application will run on a Secondary VPE undisturbed by the Linux kernel.
>
> After I enabled the MIPS_VPE_LOADER [=y] in .config , the kernel is up without
> any error/warning message.
>
> Please help :
>
> 1. How to load the application into VPE1 from VPE0 ? (cat XYZapp >/dev/vpe1 ?)

Exactly.

> 2. Is there any sample "Hello World" application for this ?
> 3. Any specific tool chain needed ?

I recommend you refer to the file, MIPS® SDE Programmers' Guide (.pdf).
http://www.mips.com/products/product-materials/processor/software/

It's easy to build the sample with SDE. And ever I program a sample to output
some messages from UART to validate AP/AP. I think even you can implement the
same to display something from the LED.

Best Regards
Tiejun