Re: VPE loader support on 34K

To: Alan Wu <>
Subject: Re: VPE loader support on 34K
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:42:24 +0100
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:37:20PM +0800, Alan Wu wrote:

> I'm porting 2.6.26 Linux on the platform of MIPS 34K. Currently, the
> uni-processor
> kernel model(1 VPE) and SMP model (2 VPE) are up and work perfectly.
> Now, I need to port the AP/SP model on a normal Linux uniprocessor kernel
> model.
> I'd like to load an application program (ELF ?) into kernel space where this
> application will run on a Secondary VPE undisturbed by the Linux kernel.
> After I enabled the MIPS_VPE_LOADER [=y] in .config , the kernel is up without
> any error/warning message.
> Please help :
> 1. How to load the application into VPE1 from VPE0 ? (cat XYZapp >/dev/vpe1 ?)
> 2. Is there any sample "Hello World" application for this ?
> 3. Any specific tool chain needed ?

I assume you're a MTI customer?  If so I suggest you talk to customer
support.  There are docs, SDE-based toolchain and example code showing
how to use this.  If you understand the technical details it will not
be too difficult to figure out your own solution using a standard
Linux/MIPS toolchains but of course in that case you can't use any of
the userspace libraries for building an AP/SP program.